An industrial design is the visual features of shape, configuration, pattern or ornament—or any combination of these features—applied to a finished article made by hand, tool or machine.
The UAE Patent Office has started the examination of the design applications filed during the period 1998 – 2005. Accepted design applications will be published in the Official Gazette shortly.
A design or industrial model registration is valid for 10 years.
The payment of annuities can be made on or before the due date at any time and for any number of years, however, annuities can still be paid during the 3 months after the due date without a late payment fee and another 3 months with a late payment fee, (the total grace period is 6 months).
1. A Power of Attorney duly legalized up to the UAE Consulate.
2. A duly legalized extract from the Commercial Register or from the Memorandum of Association, if the applicant is a company or body corporate.
3. Two copies of the model or design, if it is two-dimensional or two copies of each view thereof, if it is three-dimensional.
4. A duly legalized deed of assignment signed by the inventor, if the applicant is not the inventor.
5. A certified copy of the priority document, if it is to be claimed.
Note: Please note that the documents in item 3 should be submitted at the Patent Office on the filing date of the application, while documents in items (1, 2, 4 and 5) can be submitted within 90 days (strictly non-extendible) from the filing date of the design applications.
It is worth mentioning that the Patent Office in the UAE is only accepting applications. Examination of filed design applications has yet to start, and therefore, no designs have been granted yet.
1. A Power of Attorney executed by the assignee and duly legalized up to the Consulate of the UAE.
2. A duly legalized deed of assignment executed by both parties.
3. A duly legalized Certificate of Incorporation of the assignee.
Registered User/License Agreement Applications
1. A Power of Attorney executed by the licensee and duly legalized up to the Consulate of the UAE.
2. A duly legalized license agreement executed by both parties.
Change of Name/Address Applications
1. A Power of Attorney in the new name and/or address duly legalized up to the Consulate of the UAE.
2. A legalized certificate proving the change of name or address issued by the local competent authority of the applicant’s domicile.
For more information on our services, feel free to contact us today!